Saturday, February 28, 2009

Exhale...

Wow, what a week it has been for Price (and mom)! His sweet head has been subjected to so much - a casting, doctor check, and then finally an ultrasound on Friday. I am finally catching my breath to fill everyone in who has been asking and praying for him (many thank-you's by the way).

First, let me say that the Lord answered a huge prayer for us on Friday. Back when we found out that our pediatrician had ordered an ultrasound on Price's head, the nurse called that afternoon to inform us our appointment at Texas Children's Hospital would be on March 18th. March 18th? Are you kidding? You are telling me that there could be something wrong with my son's head and I have to wait more than three weeks to find out? That is what went through my head but over the phone I just replied, "Wow, that seems like a long time to wait but thank you." Well, since that day I just kept praying that somehow we could get in earlier. I called once to check for cancellations but no such luck. So I just kept praying. And on Friday morning I decided to check once more. Ellery and I prayed as I dialed the number to the diagnostic clinic at TCH. I told the lady on the phone that I wanted to see if there had been any appointment cancellations that would allow us to get in on an earlier date. She checked and replied that there were no appointments until April! I think she could sense my disappointment and then told me to hold while she checked one more thing. She came back over the phone and asked if we could be there at 1 pm that afternoon. Yes, we could be there! Ellery and I jumped up and down about how the Lord had answered our prayer. He is good.

So, my mom picked E up from school that day and Price and I headed to TCH. As I was standing in line to check-in, I realized the family in front of me was one that I have been receiving CarePage updates on and praying for since Ellery was a newborn. They attend our church and the mother, Olivia, spoke at our MOPS group way back when. I was so touched by her son Joshua's story and their unwavering faith and commitment to prayer. Finally, I was able to introduce myself and officially meet her. You can keep up with this special family here. Neat timing.

Let me say that I went into this appointment pretty calm. It seemed like just a precautionary check because Price's head circumference had jumped up in percentiles over the past two months. Not a big deal in my opinion, if you consider his families of origin. We went back to the ultrasound room and the technician did her thing. She rubbed the gel all over his bald head and I laughed to myself at the thought of his first little hairdo. She didn't say anything after she was done but that she was going to take the results to the radiologist, and the radiologist may or may not want to scan his little (okay, not so little) head some more. That made me a little nervous, I am not going to lie. After what seemed like an hour of waiting with a very unhappy and tired little guy, the radiologist finally arrived to give me the news that Price has something called benign external hydrocephalus. I know enough about hydrocephalus that I was alarmed. She talked some more and said I would need to consult my pediatrician for further details. I left feeling so confused and worried for my little guy.

Thankfully our pediatrician (whom I cannot say enough good things about) called late that afternoon to go over his results with me. Basically, Price has some fluid around his brain but not around his ventricles. Dr. Spinner pulled up his scans (which is the great thing about going to a TCH doctor-it is all in the computer system) and said that there was nothing to be concerned about. He said that some infants, especially those with larger head circumferences, have this fluid. It usually disappears by the time they are 18 months to two years of age, and at that time their head size also becomes more average. We will just monitor the situation from here on out, but it almost always resolves without any kind of treatment. We have an appointment next week for his 6 month check-up and I have some more questions to bug him with, but for now we are breathing a sigh of relief that everything seems to be okay.

Finally, this whole post makes me think of Ali, Cy, and baby Cole. Please keep praying for Cole and his sweet head and overall health. For updates on him, go here.

7 comments:

Tabaitha Kaye said...

Wow, you have had some week. My sister takes her boys to Dr. Spinner as well and sings his praises. Praying for you guys.

the_wells said...

god is good. you are faithful! keep it up.
praying for you guys - katie

jonnyd said...

I'm sorry that you guys have been dealing with all of this, but I'm so glad that all seems to be ok. I know all too well the anxiety waiting for a doctor to come back with results - it can seem like an eternity. But what a great opportunity to let Ellery see the power of prayer first hand - from that perspective, it's kind of a cool experience, especially since Price is ok.

Steve and Cristie said...

Wow, God is so good to hear our prayers! I am glad for the good results and will keep praying for his "not so little" noggin!

Steve and Cristie said...

Wow, God is so good to hear our prayers! I am glad for the good results and will keep praying for his "not so little" noggin!

Sherrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherrie said...

Bless your hearts-I am so glad that you did not have to wait and were able to get in to see the doctor. What a blessing that your little one is going to be just fine! God is good!

The Bill Curry Family

newer older home