Sunday, February 8, 2009

First Fish

Thanks everyone for the sling suggestions! I will check them all out. It's been a busy, but wonderful weekend filled with family and friends. What could be any better?

Saturday we spent the day with the Allen family at their aunt's farm. It's actually a nice house on a large piece of land complete with a fishing pond. She has a horse, a calf that they are bottle-feeding, a singing dog named Buddy, and lots of fish! Ellery just loved it! She fed the horse carrots and hay and helped Aunt Doris give the calf a bottle. Then she went fishing with her daddy and take a look at what they caught! Of course they let if go because come on people, fish have feelings too.















Oh and are you wondering about the singing dog? He was amazing. Aunt Doris would start singing and Buddy would chime in with howls. It was just like America's Funniest Home Videos. Nathan was serenaded with Happy Birthday (he turns the big 3-1 on Thursday)!






We came home and 3 of the 4 people in our household took monster naps. I decided to slip out and see a movie with a friend and enjoy a little popcorn and Milk Duds.

Today we listened to a wonderful sermon at church about living a life of love. A point that really struck me was that we can love others by living a restful life instead of such frantic ones. I definitely know what frantic feels like! The son of a couple in our Sunday School class was baptized. He is only 5 years old and yet has completely given his life to Christ. We also witnessed an 83 year-old woman's decision to accept Christ as her Savior at the end of the service. Pretty neat! After church, we went out to lunch with our Sunday School class and had a great time. Price sat in my lap the entire lunch and did not make a peep. Ellery on the other hand was wild and crazy. I think they may have slipped her some sugary drinks and candy at church.

I made a quick trip to Target and to the grocery store while the munchkins were napping and then came home to cook a healthy dinner. I am determined to start cooking more at night and to make it healthy! My dear friend, Leigh Anne, emailed me all sorts of great recipes and I am motivated. Nathan got his turn to see a movie tonight with the guys and so it was just Ellery and I for dinner. You should have seen her face when I handed her a bowl of brown rice, sweet potatoes, and broccoli. I can't complain because she will usually try anything we give her. She may not eat a second bite, but she will try it (unless it is broccoli or even remotely resembles broccoli). She took a bite of rice and said, "Yuck." I then talked her into eating a microscopic bite of sweet potato and she almost gagged. I am not kidding! She had a banana for dessert and that's it. Am I a mean mama or what?

Lately at bedtime, Ellery has been wanting to read this Princess Stories book that came with a mini CD player. There are four discs for each princess story: Cinderella, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, and Sleeping Beauty. She loves it! Before we read one, she opens the book to the start of the story, gets the CD all situated and ready to go, and then proceeds to line up the correct princess figurines. We have several of each princess and so for example if she is reading Cinderella, she will pick out all 3 Cinderella figurines and set them out. It was just cracking me up tonight. After I read one story to her, she told me it was her turn to read the story to me. I love hearing her version of the story. It usually involves someone "not being very nice" to someone else. Ellery has been telling me that she loves me all the time now and I could just melt each time. Sometimes she says it back to me after I tell her how much I love her and sometimes it is just out of the blue. Oh, how I love that girl!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love reading your blog Kristen! It is so fun to feel like I still can know what you are up to, even though we don't see each other EVER! I was wondering if you could forward me that email of healthy recipes?? I am always on the search:) My email is mrwright5@gmail.com. Thanks!!

Steve and Cristie said...

Oh the wonderful things I get to look forward to! I would love the healthy recipes too! See you next Sunday!

newer older home