Friday, August 8, 2008

A not so pleasant, but funny story

Forgive me for blogging on this subject but I keep finding myself laughing about what just went on at our house. First let me explain that Ellery has been asking to use the potty for awhile now. It is a hit and miss kind of thing - many more misses than hits. Well, lately she is always saying she needs to poop on the potty. She can take her clothes and diaper off, so she will do this about every 30 minutes or so if we are home and try to use the potty. While I know this is a good sign that we are headed in the right direction, it is a little tiresome.

As of about a week ago, however, Ellery has been going a few days between poops and working herself into a frenzy when she does have to go. I don't know if she is constipated (again, I apologize for blogging about this) or if she just has a fear of pooping. I keep explaining to her that everyone poops and its okay, but this doesn't seem to help. She will run around a whole day holding her bottom, screaming ouchie, and saying she needs to poop.

Well, today was one of those days where she was doing the tantrum/screaming thing saying she had to poop and I was of course expecting a delivery around noon. Just when I thought I was going to lose it, I remembered that the past two times we have had days like this, she has ended up going to the bathroom outside. It happened at the lake this past weekend. I stuck her out in the backyard and watched - and sure enough she didn't disappoint! Right about when she was turning red and grunting, the lady delivering a window treatment for Price's room walks in (I had kept the front door open just in case) and sees this whole event. I am helping Ellery (telling her it's okay, everyone poops) as she does her thing. I have to explain to this lady whom I never met that my daughter will only poop outside and that I will be with her as soon as I get Ellery upstairs and change an enormous, smelly diaper. I am sure she is thinking we are a very, very strange family. Her comment was that maybe Ellery just likes being with nature!

Toddlers always seem to have impeccable timing! Maybe I should put the potty seat outside from now on. I wonder if that would work?

6 comments:

cindy gatewood said...

Oh my goodness--LOL!!!

Kathryn Biegel said...

Maybe she watches Colby too much outside? That's hilarious.

Tabaitha Kaye said...

Aww, poor Ellery. That is one of the funniest things I have heard. Maybe she feels most comfortable outside. I bet the delivery woman had a great story to tell her family tonight.

Allison said...

I don't even know what to say...other than THANKS for my laugh of the day!!!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, I'm still laughing over here!

jeanaelizabeth said...

Don't worry. Josh does that all the time. It doesn't really seem to bother our neighbors...



;)

newer older home