Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What we're up to

Price is out of school for 3 weeks and sometimes I think he's loving the freedom and then other times I am pretty sure he is bored out of his mind. Today he woke up with a bloody nose, which has never happened. And Street either threw up or had a horrible spit up. I am desperately hoping it was spit up. That all happened before 7:30am, before I had to get them all out the door to take Ellery to a princess camp she is attending this week.
Where am I going with this post? I'm not sure.

Price loves Blues Clues. It's like his first real favorite thing (besides Colby, of course). How awesome that he has a favorite and we are able to recognize it. As his speech therapist encouraged me, he is talking to us, just not with words. I am trying to be more aware of what he is telling me non verbally. He has so much to say I am sure. While a lot of focus is on the motor milestones like walking, I am convinced the most awesome milestone for Price will be speech. Nathan and I talk all the time about how we can't wait to hear what our boy sounds like and get a peak into what's going on in that big brain of his.

Yesterday, the kids all mercifully slept for a couple hours at the same time and I read the book, "Heaven is for real" by Todd Burpo. I had never planned on reading it, but got sucked in with all the beautiful imagery of heaven and this little boy's miraculous story about his short trip to heaven. It sure has me thinking more about heaven in general. One of the things that really stuck with me, however, was how this little boy couldn't stop talking to his mom and dad and others about how much Jesus loves the children. He made this point over and over until finally his parents had to tell him that they got it! It made me want to love my children better. It made me want to ask the Lord how to love them like He does and see them how He sees them. They are so absolutely precious in His sight.

I am always comforted by the fact that if Price never talks or walks or does this or that on this side of heaven, that he will one day. I know I am getting ahead of myself and I am believing that Price will do all these things on this earth, but in my darkest moments I am comforted by this fact. Sometimes I am so focused on helping Price reach this or that milestone or thinking about and planning for the future with him, that I forget to just love him well. Oh, how I don't want to miss this!

This is not at all what I planned to post today.

As I came back to post this entry tonight, I thought I would add that Street has now digested a small bead from a necklace Ellery made and some grass today. My goal with my 3rd now is to just keep him alive. Keep him alive for the day and I have done well, I am telling myself.

3 comments:

Paige said...

I had to laugh at the last comment. OH Streeter...ha!

Katie said...

You're a fantastic mom! And from how you've described him, Street will get by on his own :) And the bead will come out, ha!

Matt & Leigh Anne said...

I just started that book! "Just surviving" is the theme at our house. Watch out, you just may see that bead (and grass) again! Ha!

newer older home