Saturday, August 21, 2010

The incredible brain

Not many people know this about me, but before I got pregnant with Ellery I had gone back to school to get my PhD in counseling psychology. I was a year into the program and interviewing for internships for the next year. The internship I really wanted (and ended up getting) was one at Texas Childrens Hospital in the neurology department. I was (and still am) fascinated with the brain and how it works, specifically in children because their brains are so malleable.
The minute I fell in love with Ellery Paige though, school took a backseat and I quit to be a stay-at-home mom. I have never once regretted that decision.

I never imagined I would be back in the neurology department at Texas Childrens with my own child. I would have much rather been there as an intern.

All this to say, I still enjoy reading about the brain and neurology. It is my pleasure reading, which makes no sense to Nathan. He's always telling me to read something a little lighter! Now that we have Price, my desire to know more and more has only increased. One of his therapists told me I should be a neurologist, but I told her I would only know really well one condition...my sons!

Two books that I have read in the past couple of weeks have really inspired me in different ways. The first was LeAnn Whiffen's "A Child's Journey Out of Autism." She is a mother-warrior who fought in so many ways to rescue her son. It shows just how impressionable a child's brain can be and how we can retrain the brain and make new, more functional neural pathways with the right work. While Price has not been diagnosed with autism, there are some overlaps with his delays and kids on the autism spectrum. Price also has some sensory issues which are often times found in children with autism.

The second book I just finished reading is called "Fixing My Gaze" by Susan R. Barry. The author is a 50 year-old neuroscientist who had vision problems her entire life. She viewed the world as flat and could not see in 3D. She began an intense vision therapy program and now sees the world as the majority of the population. This really stood out to me because it shows us that the brain is not only malleable during a specific period of childhood like many believe. Our brain can be rewired at any point in our life, given the right tools.

I keep praying for the "right tools" for Price. I do not want to ever look back and think we did not do enough for him. As his mom, I will keep fighting for his development and progress with everything in me, although at times I want to just throw in the towel. But more than the "right tools", we most importantly believe that the Lord is the ultimate healer. Nothing is impossible for Him. Please Lord, if it would bring you much glory, heal our Price.

5 comments:

Lindsay Wagner said...

Oh Kristen, I am praying this right here with you, and I will continue to pray for Price's full healing and restoration. Know that you are not fighting this alone...we are coming beside you. You are SUCH an amazing and wonderful mother to all 2 (oops..3....hee, hee!) of your blessings!

Tabaitha Kaye said...

I pray for Price and your family regularly. God knew what he was doing when he chose you to be Price's mom. You are an incredible mom and all of you little one's are blessed to have you in their lives.

Amanda said...

Kristen, I had no idea! This just shows me, once again, that God knows exactly what He is doing in your family's life. There are no mistakes. I think you are a fantastic mom and God has equipped you so gloriously (even though it may not feel that way) to be Price's warrior. I love you, my friend!

Kiki said...

You are an amazing mom! I've always known you were the perfect Mom for Price because God made it that way, but what a tangible way that you are Price's perfect mom!

I would love to pick your brain sometime about Kolby. Would you be willing?

cindy gatewood said...

Isn't it "mysterious" how God
works?!

I'm proud of you!

newer older home