Monday, August 24, 2009

Slowly but surely

We have started a new fall therapy schedule with Price that hopefully will allow us to only go on Mondays and Thursdays. Because we are only going two days a week, he will have back-to-back physical and speech therapy. I know it will be a little rough on him at first since he will be missing his morning nap, but I am hopeful that he will get the hang of it soon. It will be so nice to have 3 days a week where we don't have to get up in the morning and rush out of the house.

I just went into Price's room and peaked at him sleeping. He used to sleep with his head slightly tilted to the right and stayed pretty much in one position the entire night. The past couple of nights he has had his head completely turned to one side so that he is lying on his cheek. Nathan and I just stood in his room amazed at his progress. I know it doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but to us it most definitely is! He has looked like he is about to roll from back to stomach for the past few days, and he sure looks like it tonight while he is sleeping. He has been rolling from stomach to back well for about 3 weeks and if he could just figure out the other direction, he could roll to wherever he wants to go! He is also trying to get his legs under him a little bit while on his stomach which is great too.

In speech therapy today Price was making choices. I know that sounds weird but I have discovered that speech therapy isn't just speech! They work on so much more. His speech therapist gave him the choice of an animal cracker or some peaches in syrup....such healthy options. She changed up how she held each choice a few times and each time Price chose the animal cracker. He definitely knew what he wanted! Just the fact that he is looking at both choices and using his hands to show us which one he wants is a big step for a little guy that lacked muscle tone and control to extend his arms. He is also babbling more. His vocabulary is mostly limited to "ga-ga" and "ah-ga" but it is obvious he is trying to hold a conversation.

With all the progress it is still hard sometimes for me when I see what Price should be doing for his age. My mom and I took him to Picture People for some one year pictures last week and I left in tears, partly because Ellery was out of control and partly because it made me sad that he couldn't sit up unsupported for very long or even attempt to stand on the little #1 box that they have as a prop.

Sunday was suppose to be Sunday school promotion day. Ellery moved up to her 3 year old class with Miss Kristen (when I told her that was her new teacher's name she declared, "That's weird"). Price was moved up to a one year old class which had me a little skeptical but we decided to give it a try. Well, the poor guy would have been trampled, although size-wise he fit right in. Most of the kids were walking and all were crawling. There were no swings or exersaucers like in his nursery room. These kids were attempting to go down slides and eating crackers! The teachers and Nathan and I quickly decided he wasn't ready and he went back to the baby room. I love his nursery room workers and of course they love him, so I wasn't sad for too long. They said the oldest baby they have ever had in their class was 18 months old, so we will see if Price breaks the record.

I'm so thankful for a good and encouraging day of therapy after this past week. Pricey is making progress, slowly but surely. Although he is turning one this Saturday, he is developmentally more like a 6 month-old. I sure do love 6 month-olds though, don't you?

9 comments:

Tabaitha Kaye said...

Way to go Price. It sounds like he is making great progress. Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how he has been doing.

Jill said...

We love you Pricey! Keep working hard little man, you will get there!

"But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." Habakkuk 2:3

Amanda said...

I'll be praying for him to get that roll down! Annabeth still doesn't do that one either. Hang in there, mama! You are doing such a great job with him. He is a blessed boy.

Matt & Leigh Anne said...

Sweet boy!! Can't believe he is already one! He is so lucky to have such a good mama! Hang in there, I'm sure all of this hard work will soon be a memory. Praying for yall!

melanie said...

i'm so excited to hear the update about price's progress. he is so precious! thanks for being so transparent through all the tough things y'all have been through. i'm praying for you today!

Ashley, Bill, and Hunter said...

Way to go price (and mommy!)...that is so great! Atleast Price loves Sunday School Nursery...we cant even last in church more than 10 minutes because Hunter cries so hard they page us quickly. Last week was the first week he made it through the entire class...well, there was only 1 other child bc we went to late service and one teacher was able to take him outside to watch for planes the entire hour. :-) Keep up the great work, and we are all praying for you guys.

Allison Cattan said...

You know we are praying for sweet Price.
Love seeing yall at therapy on Monday and Thursday..not we are alone on Tuesday!

Mom said...

You inspire me to be a better Mommy to my boys.
Take care,
Danielle

sarah watson said...

Hi Kristen,

I'm the Dotsons' friend :) Price is SO cute and certainly will do well with you as his mother :) My little Kameron just turned a year old a couple of weeks ago and she JUST started crawling, not really pulling up and only has one word, dada...my Brooke didn't walk till 16 1/2 months...I know you know this but there is such a huge range in development and with therapy he will make great progress! Keep it up!

Love, Sarah

newer older home