Friday, July 17, 2009

Recitals and peer-pressure

Pictures from Ellery's dance recital this afternoon:












Ellery's dance recital was precious! Two fun memories to report. During the middle of the recital, Ellery ran over to where her daddy was sitting and declared, "I love you daddy." It was so sweet and the room burst into laughter. At another point during the recital, Ellery and her friend Ella got the case of the giggles. They had cat masks on their faces and I guess looking at each other got them laughing.

Lots of happenings at our household this week. I've mentioned this before but for about a year now Ellery has had some pooping issues. It was pretty miserable at times. It wasn't uncommon for her to go 5 days without pooping. And many days I took her to my parents house so that she could go swimming with Poppy because this sometimes helped to get her to go. I guess it was the warm water! Nathan and I would also chase her up and down our driveway and get her to dance around the house which seemed to help too. I always felt relieved after a "poopy day" because I knew the next couple of days would be really good ones for Ellery. She wouldn't be agitated or antsy like she was on days when she was holding it all in (lovely, I know). On days she pooped it would be in a diaper, not in the potty. We also give her an adult laxative everyday. Can you imagine?
Well, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but I think we may have had a breakthrough. This week we were over at her friend Ella's house. Ellery was doing the usual "poopy dance" because it had been about 5 days. She asked me to put a diaper on her so that she could do her business. While I was putting a diaper on her, Ella looked at Ellery and declared that she is a big girl because she poops on the potty, not in her diaper like Ellery. Ellery just kind of looked at her and I said something to the effect of, "That's great Ella. Ellery will do it one day but for now she likes her diaper." Ellery went in her diaper which was good enough for me, but later when we got home she asked to go poo-poo on the potty. Of course I let her try but didn't think anything of it. Something must have clicked for the girl because not only did she go on the potty that night, but every night since then and some mornings. It's unbelievable to me - pooping twice a day when she used to go once or twice a week. The power of peer-pressure!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great breakthrough! PTL for potty training peer pressure!

Kiki@Seagulls in the Parking Lot said...

I love the way you stood up for her! And yay for poop break through!

Christi Bennett @ pisforparty said...

She is beautiful!

newer older home