Saturday, November 29, 2008

Nanny

My sweet Nanny went to be with Jesus today, just two months shy of her 85th birthday. So many wonderful words describe her as she was truly an outstanding woman. She accepted everyone and loved everyone. Not only did she have her own 3 children, but she took in several over the years. My mom's best friend lived with them for awhile because her home situation was not a good one. My Nanny could barely afford to get food on the table for her family of five, yet she did not think twice about accepting more into her home. She did not have much, but the possessions she did have meant nothing to her. She would give away everything and then some in a heartbeat. Nanny was truly a selfless person. Her life was not easy in many ways, but she set such an example as to what it means to be a faithful servant of Christ and lived her life in complete abandonment to His will.
She loved her family, loved holidays, loved quilting and painting, loved babies, loved going to church (as evidenced by her perfect attendance award in her Bible I now own), loved God's Word, and most of all LOVED Jesus. She told me stories that I wish I could recall better than I do, great stories about seeing angels. She made me deviled eggs for 20 years because she thought I loved them (and at some point along the way I stopped loving them), she let us eat cool whip out of the containers until we made ourselves sick (because she needed the containers for art projects), and she made sleepovers at her house so much fun with huge pallets on the floor and sky-high stacks of toast for breakfast. She was beautiful and helped shape me into the person I am today. She left a legacy that will carry on for years to come. I can't wait to tell Ellery and Price all about their great-grandmother.

Today was a hard day but really we lost her awhile ago as she began suffering through the horrible disease of Alzheimer's. Today was a hard day but through the tears we were rejoicing that she is meeting Jesus face to face, no longer in pain, dancing and singing once again, and seeing her mama and daddy and brothers. Today was a hard day but we find comfort and peace in knowing we will indeed see her once again. We will see our sweet Nanny once again.

11 comments:

justmyopinion12 said...

I'm sorry. There are no other words.

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Nanny. She sounds like she was and is an exceptional lady. She must have been incredibly proud to have you as a granddaughter.

Tabaitha Kaye said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Your Nanny sounded like a fabulous lady and someone that you will treasure in your heart forever. I see a lot of you in the picture of your Nanny. Praying for you guys.

jonnyd said...

Kristen,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss - it sounds like she was an amazing woman. There is not much more that we can hope for in our earthly lives than to touch people like you described she did. What a blessing to have had her in your life and what a touching tribute to read. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

cindy gatewood said...

What a beautiful tribute to
Nanny. Yes, my mother was
an amazing woman, and we were
all so lucky to have her as
a mom and grandmother. We will
miss her, but know she will be
"brand new" when we see her
again!

Love,
Mom

glenda said...

What lovely memories you shared of your "Nanny". Be comforted knowing that she left this world for a better place. All her pain and suffering has disappeared as she basks in the light of our Lord.

glenda

jeanaelizabeth said...

Kristen,
I should be calling you instead of posting on your website. My Mom told me about this yesterday. I'm so sorry. I didn't ever spend a ton of time around your grandparents but I love them. They were so sweet! I remember visiting their house when we were little and all of the fantastic things your grandpa made including some wood toys for Jill and I. Your grandparents are very special and I know your Nanny will be missed. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Love you!

thesapp4 said...

So perfectly put. Thank you for that beautiful tribute to Nanny.

Matt & Leigh Anne said...

What a wonderful blessing and honor to have someone like that in your life. I know there is nothing to ease the hurt, just cling to the memories you have. Know I'm praying for you and your family.

Angela said...

Kristen,

So sorry for your family's loss. You all will be in my prayers.

Donlee and Amanda said...

Sorry to here about your Nanny. I'm thinking of your family.

newer older home