Monday, October 29, 2007

Call Me Betty Crocker

Whew today was a day spent almost entirely in the kitchen, minus a few hours spent at Gymboree and the grocery store. Did anyone see Jessica Seinfeld on Oprah discussing her new book, Deceptively Delicious? Well, I was completely inspired even though I already own several cookbooks for kids, including Sneaky Chef, which is sparking a little controversy.

I received my cookbook in the mail on Saturday and it blew me away. It is so well organized and starts with the basics, such as what the heck does a butternut squash look like and how do you cook such a vegetable?? I say that because I was perplexed at the grocery store looking at all the varieties of squash available. I really had to ask for help. Poor Ellery probably was thinking my mom is a real loser when it comes to grocery store knowledge. :) At one point she put her head on the shopping cart handle bars she was so tired from shopping.

I compiled a menu for the week and got to work. I spent the afternoon making purees - carrots, yellow squash, butternut squash, and cauliflower just to name a few. The concept is that you have fruit and veggie purees stored away and then you can just whip one out to put into a recipe. Because everyone wants their kids to eat a little more spinach and broccoli. Something about a healthy meal makes me feel like a better mom.

Sweet Ellery decided to sleep for 3 1/2 hours this afternoon leaving me even more time to prepare dinner - spaghetti with homemade meatballs and sauce. This may sound simple but it was full of healthy additions - carrots and butternut squash. As I was making the meatballs (which included ground turkey) I could not tell if they were cooked through or not and I was scared to try them and even more terrified to let Ellery try them. Nathan had called earlier and said he wouldn't be home for dinner so my taste tester was not available. So...Ellery ended up with just spaghetti and sauce tonight and guess how much of it she ate? Zip. Zero. Nothing. We resorted to the regulars - peas, hot dog, and strawberries.

Nathan did try out the meatballs later and really liked them. So maybe I will pack them in Ellery's lunch tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, I have a batch of cookies in the oven right now that I promised I would bring to her school for their Halloween party. While I am committed to cooking more healthy meals at home, I am SO over being in the kitchen!! I am already thinking about which restaurant we can hit for dinner tomorrow.

2 comments:

jeanaelizabeth said...

Oh my gosh. You are making me feel so guilty here at home. I think the best I did today was a reheated pizza slice and Josh will be lucky if he gets peanut butter & jelly for dinner. I am going to suck at being a mom. :)

Kristyn said...

I did see this on oprah!! and was wondering if the food still tasted good with the purees in them! what do you think, is it worth all the trouble??

newer older home