Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Love One Another

Have you ever just flat out felt like not loving someone or has someone made it incredibly hard for you to want to serve them? Well, yesterday we had more neighborhood drama and I was really ticked. I wanted to give the lady across the street a peace of my mind and tell her how much stress and time she is costing my poor husband at work. I know you are wondering what the heck is going on, but rest assured it is not even worth me explaining....ridicuously petty. But it has grown into something that is not going away and that has put Nathan in the role of mediator. It is a role he is very good at as he is so slow-to-speak and anger. He automatically assumes the position of peace-maker on our street, even though we are by far the youngest home owners.
Anyways, I decide that my attitude is so terrible about this situation and know that I have not yet set aside anytime with the Lord. So I sit down to do my bible study and open the page to the day I am on - the title just happens to be "The Power of Love." Wow, what a slap in the face. Needless to say, my heart was renewed and the Lord gave me a new outlook on the situation. What if I decided to love and serve these neighbors that I find myself at odds with? How can I choose not to love someone when while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Rom 5:8).
My lesson on love continued when Nathan and I went out to participate with our church in Houston Project. It is a week-long mission project that our church organizes each year where we serve at various locations around the city. Ours happens to be at a group of apartments in one of Houston's wards. To drive 10 minutes to this part of our city and feel like we are in another world is amazing and disturbing. To see children so starved for affection and attention when my child gets all the attention she needs and more is incredibly sad. Suddenly concerns of the day seem non-existent in comparison to what these Houstonians face daily.

Deep thoughts, I know, but Jesus is the perfect example of love. The only way that I can truly love others (especially those that I flat out just don't want to love) is through Christ. I think I will go and bake the neighbors some brownies.

3 comments:

jonnyd said...

absolutely love the heart behind those comments...

Boundbrook Lane said...

You are awesome! God will give you wisdom in all these "deep thought" issues.

Kristyn said...

A great Word and a great reminder! Thanks.

newer older home