Thursday, October 20, 2011

Week Recap

This past weekend we participated in Price's school's fun walk and carnival. Price loved seeing his teachers somewhere other than the classroom and our friends, the Meltons, were super sweet and supportive to come walk with us. We have been blessed with such incredible friends that have truly carried our burdens and made this journey a little lighter. Not to mention, our new friends that ARE walking a similar journey. We are thankful our paths have crossed.

I feel like I have been awaiting test results for approximately 2 1/2 years. I really don't like it. I pretty much have Texas Children's phone number memorized along with some Duke ones. About a month ago, a nurse from Duke called and my heart about skipped a beat. I knew we had no pending test results, just habit I guess. We've waited and waited some more. Wednesday we received a call from Ellery's oral surgeon and it was good news. Thank Jesus. She had what is called a giant cell fibroma. So rare for a 5 year old but completely benign.

On Tuesday, I picked Price up from school and his teacher mentioned he was a little sleepy. No sooner than I had buckled him in his car seat did he start throwing up everywhere. Over and over. He doesn't really have the reflex to bend over or stick his head out the door, so Price, his car seat, and my car was a total disaster. I guess one of his teachers saw this go down and she came to get Price and take him back into the classroom to clean him up. She's truly a saint (and now the owner of a gift card for a new shirt). She washed my boy down from head to toe while I tried to somewhat clean up the inside of my car so that we could actually drive home. Thank the Lord it was a windy day (as opposed to the previous days of hot, sticky humidity) and some rolled down windows helped me to survive. I looked back at my pale, sickly little boy on the way home and he managed a smile, almost as if to say, "Thanks, mom."

Later that night, Street came down with a cold almost out of nowhere, so we spent Wednesday and most of Thursday indoors. Except, Price had his appointment for orthotics Thursday afternoon. All went well and he's got these brand new blue race car AFO's. Our appointment took forever and I soaked up the minutes just holding my boy and watching episodes of Blue's Clues on my phone. He really is such joy and I love spending time one on one with him, although the lifting and carrying does take a toll. (I must get to the gym if I am going to be this boy's feet for too much longer.) He's been very generous with smiles and kisses and is loving me well lately. I will take it! As we were leaving the orthotic place, I got just a little teary. I am so thankful for his AFO's and that it means he is actually bearing weight and working on new skills, but at the same time there's just that part of me that wishes I didn't have to know about AFO's. I took Price to buy some new shoes after his appointment and we had to go up about 4 sizes to get them to fit his orthotics. I am going to have to get use to these huge, big boy feet. Price picked out a fish stuffed animal at the store and then we made ourselves sick eating gummy bears on the way home.

I have been reading a book by Larry Crabb called "Shattered Dreams". My mother-in-law let me borrow it last time we were visiting. It has truly blessed me as it discusses the story of Naomi and how God stripped her of happiness in order to prepare her for joy. He says, "God is always working to make His children aware of a dream that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream, a new dream that when realized will release a new song, sung with tears, till God wipes them away and we sing with nothing buy joy in our hearts." I am only about half way through it, but I am enjoying the author's honesty.

Praising Him for good news, Lysol, and shattered dreams this week, and still believing He will do a mighty work in my boy's life and in our family. Have a blessed weekend, friends!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

prayers always for you and your family. you are an amazing mommy and such a strong godly woman!

Paige said...

Long week for the Stedham clan! Wish I was there to help out. Praying strong for that lil man and for BIG things! Love y'all.

newer older home