Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More doctors

{I will post Part 2 of Ellery's birthday party soon.}

I took Price and Ellery for their 18 months (a little late) and 4 year well check-ups last Friday. I have decided to switch pediatricians and it makes me a little sad. I really liked our old pediatrician but we were starting to not see eye-to-eye on a few things concerning Price. If there is one thing I have learned from this journey with my son, it is that I, the mom, have a voice in my child's care. I am so grateful for our doctors and know they are much-needed, but ultimately I am Price's mom and know him better than anyone. I was constantly bringing up Price's development to our pediatrician and he calmed my fears by telling me boys are slower...he will get there...no, there is nothing wrong with his eyes. Well, while I wish he had been right...he wasn't. My fears and intuition were right-on.

So I have been praying for the right pediatrician. A new set of eyes. And let me tell you this new guy is very thorough. He was almost too thorough for my liking but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. When I went to get out my little old-school books to record their weight and heights, the nurse explained to me that I would be receiving a printout of everything after the visit. A printout complete with charts. This new guy also does a developmental checklist of about 50 things. I am used to a few general questions, but this was intense. Of course, Ellery passed with flying colors and Price failed miserably. Ellery did "miss" a question. The doctor asked her what a curtain is and she responded, "Something that covers us." I thought her response was odd because I was just sure she knew the word curtain. When we got into the car after the appointment I asked her again if she knew what a curtain was. She said, "Yes, mom, it's what covers us in the shower." {insert eye roll and hand on hip....all part of her new 4 year old attitude}. I laughed out loud. Hey, doc, the better term might be drapery.

It's always discouraging when Price's development is assessed but I have come to just accept that he is way behind. He did score "in-range" on one item. He can pick out a few animal names. If I show him two pictures and ask him which one is the giraffe or elephant or another animal, he almost always chooses correctly. It's just so hard for us to know what he knows because his speech and motor skills are so very behind.

Nathan and I are meeting with yet another doctor tomorrow to get him to take a look at Price. He is a neurosurgeon with Memorial Hermann. More eyes and hopefully some answers for our little man {not so little...big boy is in the 93rd percentile for weight these days}.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

PTL for this new doc! I am praying for your appointment tomorrow. Another reminder that we need to plan a prayer night! I will email you.

Tabaitha Kaye said...

Praying for your appointment tomorrow.

Lyndsay said...

So glad that you are listening to your mama voice! Seems so hard to do at times but we do always know best for our kiddos. Hoping that you are met with some helpful information with your appointment tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you guys!

Paige said...

I am always praying for handsome lil Pricey! You are such a good mommy & are so strong for that little boy, you should be proud of this. I will continue to lift both you and him up daily. Love you.

Kristyn said...

Praying for y'all as you navigate down this road for Sweet Price. May the Lord continue to bring great insight to y'all as parents and just as you said, "new eyes" for the Doctors! :)

newer older home