Tuesday, December 4, 2007

True story

Wow have we had an eventful week and it is ONLY Tuesday. Yesterday morning Ellery was getting ready with me in the bathroom and I usually give her some makeup brushes and such to play with, which she loves. Well, she got ahold of some visine and had managed to take the cap off. Since you cannot ask a toddler if they swallowed something, you just have to assume they at least put it in their mouth. So, I called Poison Control and asked if I should be concerned. The operator told me that a child's blood pressure could drop dangerously low, then proceeded to ask me my name and what hospital I was taking my child to. Then she said, "Let's get her there NOW." I really wasn't too panicked but concluded I should take her to the ER or CPS might be arriving at my doorstep. So without getting dressed or eating breakfast, Ellery and I were off to the ER. Everyone was so great to Ellery at the hospital, giving her a stuffed animal, crackers and juice, her own personal t.v., and entertainment (a doctor who did a great Donald the Duck impression which I must say freaked us both out a little). The doctor told us we would need to stay there for at least 3 hours so that they could monitor her. 3 hours in a little hospital room with my busy child!! My mom, who is wonderful, met us there and provided entertainment that only Lulu can provide. Did I mention Ellery had on her pj's and shoes without socks and no clip (this wouldn't be a big deal but without one her hair is all over the place)? I also was not well equipped since we were in such a hurry to get in the car. When Ellery spilled an entire water bottle on herself, we literally walked out of the ER in a diaper!! Classy, huh?

And just when I thought hospital visits were over for awhile, today I went to my family doctor hoping she could prescribe something for the bad headaches I have been having the past month or so. Turns out, she decides to not only do blood work but sends me to the hospital for a CT scan! So this afternoon was spent getting an x-ray of my brain which was very painless EXCEPT for when they injected Iodine in my body and I had an allergic reaction!! My face and neck started breaking out in hives. The tech had to call the nurse and the doctor to determine what was going on. The nurse proceeded to tell me that my throat might close up and I would have a hard time breathing. Okay, now I was kind of panicked. I could just feel it closing up second by second and kept swallowing to make sure it wasn't. The doctor kept me there an hour for observation and the reaction subsided, thank goodness. All in all though, I really think it was a blessing. The doctor they called for me happened to be a radiologist and asked me why I was getting the CT. He went ahead and read my results on the spot (instead of having to wait 3-5 days) and told me that everything looked normal to him, which was a relief.
Here's hoping our week kind of slows down a little!

3 comments:

cindy gatewood said...

Let's pray for a "calm" rest
of the week! Lulu

Tabaitha, Adam, & Mason said...

You are a very strong woman and mother! I'll be praying for you and hope that the week calms down.

Jill said...

Oh Kristen! This is not good. Well I'm really looking forward to seeing you next weekend!

newer older home