Friday, January 13, 2012

Last day

Today is my last day here in China. I have such mixed emotions. I
really am loving my time in China. (Even the muddy shower water we had last night wasn't that bad - I thought of it as a really luxurious body mask.) It has been somewhat relaxing and in some ways so simple. It's been quality time for the three of us. I especially have enjoyed meeting
the Chinese people here as well as the other families who are on
different yet in some ways similar journeys. We kind of have become a little mixed
family from all over the world. As soon as one family departs, another one is arriving.

I am, however, really ready to see my babies at home. I have missed
them like crazy, but the Lord definitely has supplied me with strength
and the ability to rest in knowing that they are being cared for and
very loved back in Houston. It will break my heart to not walk through the rest of this journey
with Nathan and Price, but I am leaving P in good hands.

Last night we took the translators out to dinner at the Holiday Inn
(it's a 5 star restaurant here in Qingdao). We had some good laughs,
great conversation, and the best food we've eaten since we got here.
They told us that Nathan looks like Tom Cruise and that I look like
the lady from Mr. and Mrs. Smith. That really made us laugh. I think
it's just because we are white.

Price is settling into the routine here, crawling and climbing stairs
constantly, and charming the nurses and doctors with his smile. He
especially loves riding in the taxi without a car seat and the
hospital elevator. We have had some ask us when we might expect to
see the stem cells at work, and the truth is that it varies with each
individual. Evidence of them working can happen instantly, a month
after, 6 months after, and even up to a year. And because Price can't
tell us what he feels or sees, it's harder to gage. We are trusting
the Lord with the outcome.

Nathan is going to send me updates from China for the duration of
their stay that I will post on the blog. I have pictures to post when
I get home as well. Please pray for safe travels for me and for my
boys that I will be leaving behind.

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you
an example, that you should follow in his steps." 1 Peter 2:21

{excuse the weird formatting...don't know what's up with that}


2 comments:

cindy gatewood said...

Well, Tom and Angelina...(ha)
I am sure you have made an impact
on everyone you have met at the
hospital. I look forward to hearing about it all.

XO
Mom

Kellan's momma said...

Hi Kristen, I just read Price's story, and had to leave a comment. My now 2 year 3 month old son has Down syndrome. When he was 5 weeks old I noticed him tilting his head to the side and his eyes kind rolling to the side. If I tried to straighten his head, he would kind of twitch and seemed in pain, but not crying. After a couple hours of this behavior we took him to our peds office. The Ped there immediately thought they were seizures and wanted to airlift him to Denver (we live in Montana). I never really thought they were seizures, I'm an RN and have seen alot of seizures, but I did believe there was something wrong. Our regular Ped was called and she just wanted to send us to our local hospital PICU. He had an EEG right away, but it was a Friday evening, and we had no Ped neuro in MT, so noone to read it. The next am he had an MRI, which was normal. Eventually, the EEG was read as normal. But no answers as to what was going on with him. A month later I took him to Denver to a ped neuro, who saw an episode, as I called them. She ordered a 4 hour EEG, which showed abnormal electrical activity, epileptiform waves, but no actual seizures. At this time he had been on phenobarb for 5 weeks, and slept 23 hours per day. His development had stopped, he was 10 weeks old and couldn't even begin to hold his head up, didn't coo or smile. I decided no matter what the doctors said I was taking him off the phenobarb. Thankfully, the epilileptoloist allowed me to do so (I would have anyway!). The ped neuro had mentioned a condition called benign paroxysmal torticollis, which I wrote down the name of. 2 weeks later, on Christmas night, he had another "episode" that didn't quit, so we videotaped him. It was so hard to see him look so uncomfortable, and feel so helpless, not knowing what was wrong. I was determinded to find answers. I google BPT and eventually found a ped neuro at Boston Childrens who had done a study on it. His email address was listed with the article. So I emailed him, desperate, but doubting he'd respond. I was prepared to fly to Boston for an appt to see this man. TO my surprise he responded about 2 days later! After his vacation, he called me, we went over Kellan's medical history, and I mailed him a DVD of the Christmas episode. A week or so later he called me again and said he was 99% sure that's what Kellan had. BPT is a migraine condition in infants, they think, hard to study as babies can't tell them what's wrong! His only concern was the eye deviation. THat next March was the last time Kellan had an episode that we saw. My point, I guess, is that I understand the not knowing frustration, I understand the momma who will go to the end of the earth for her child. God bless you!
Christina

newer older home