Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blogs

I have come across some really good writing on disability. John Knight is the Sr. Director of Development at Desiring God, a ministry of John Piper's. He is the father of a son with a disability. He also writes for the Bethlehem Baptist Church disability ministry. Check it out here.

A few weeks ago he had a link to Justin Taylor's blog post, for The Gospel Coalition. It was a letter to a mom thinking about terminating her pregnancy because of a genetic condition that was discovered in utero. The letter really resonated with me. We never had one ultrasound that indicated that Price was anything but perfectly healthy and "normal". My pregnancy was a textbook one and delivery for that matter was too. I am thankful that we didn't have to go through what most likely would have been a scary pregnancy with all the unknowns and what-if's. I have friends that have discovered that the baby they were carrying was either most likely not going to survive at birth or was not going to be a "typical" developing child. They all handled the news with a grace and strength that I admired.

I love this letter to this mother especially because of what it says about suffering.
"It seems to be a foregone conclusion in our culture that preventing suffering is the highest goal, but I think we lose sight of the fact that sometimes in our lives the greatest blessings come to us after we have gone through the greatest suffering."

I can't imagine our lives without knowing the pain and joy that has come with being a mother to Price. The things that society would deem as imperfect in Price have become the exact qualities I cherish in our son. The so-called imperfections in my children are what make them who they are and that's a beautiful thing. It's definitely not all rosy all the time and I'm not trying to paint that picture. I have moments of sadness and wanting so badly for things to be easier for us and easier for Price. But, we can praise the Lord in it all.

{Another great blogger is also the father to an adopted son with a disability, Greg Lucas.}

As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.” John 9:1-3

3 comments:

cindy gatewood said...

Beautifully written....

Michelle said...

Hi! I have been reading your blog since right before you delivered your precious Price. I found your blog from Amanda Moore's blog. I too live in Houston, I think we share the same ob?? (Shelly L-R) and I also have three children. My second son was born a week or so before your Ellery and my first son was born still in 2005 (umbilical cord accident). God has also blessed us with a little girl who recently turned two. Oh, we also use Mackenzie...lots in common actually. I regret not ever commenting before...but I recently heard this song and while I thought of my first son Will, I also thought of Price. You are such an inspiration Kristin and all three of your children are so blessed to call you mom. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that Price's attitude and hard work is a direct reflection of his mommy's influence...keep it up. I simply can't imagine walking in your shoes and always really enjoy reading about what you have to say and your insight etc. Thank you for letting others see the hand of God working miracles in your little boy's life. Here is the link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Gxv9CRRVM God bless! Michelle Bynum

Kristen said...

Hi Michelle! It's so nice to meet you! Thanks for leaving a comment. Love the song! :)

newer older home