Sunday, December 28, 2008

Loving Christmas time

We had a whirlwind Christmas this year - first in Wichita, then back to Houston for Christmas with my family, and then off to Dallas for Christmas with Nathan's family. We are so blessed to have such wonderful families - I am always sad this time of year for people who do not have family to visit or be with during the holidays.
I enjoyed Christmas this year with Ellery so much. She is at such a fun age and although she didn't understand everything, she was excited and curious. She really got into singing Christmas tunes and watching Christmas movies. I think the one big lesson though that I learned was that my 2 1/2 year old would have been perfectly happy with a new baby doll and markers. Nathan and I even commented that we could have stopped at the stocking stuffers and she would have been pleased!
We opened gifts as a family on Christmas morning and then headed over to my parents' house to be with them and Paige and Taylor. My mom always goes over the top and this year that included matching pajamas for the girls. We had such a good time! Paige and Taylor bought Ellery a new jewelry box with a twirling ballerina that was a hit. Paige and I watched the Duggar family marathon on t.v. while the kids were napping.
Our big gift to Ellery this year was a Power Wheels car - a pink Barbie escalade! We (more like I) was so excited about this gift. I decided about a month ago that we would get this for her after seeing a friend's little girls enjoying theirs so much. I looked around online and finally came across the pink one I was wanting. The only problem was that shipping cost half as much as the car itself. There was no way I was going to pay an outrageous shipping cost, so I kept searching and finally came across it at a Toys R Us in Humble. I was so excited too, because now I had concluded that this was THE popular gift of the year and I had found it! Tiffany and I drove out to Humble with Price and Emery while the dads occupied the "big" girls. What a sweet friend to make the trip, only to discover that it would not fit into her SUV. We were bummed but chalked it up to a fun girls trip. We decided to have the store assemble the escalade and Nathan and I would come back for it on a day we didn't have any carseats in the car - so date night to Toys R Us in Humble it was! So romantic - it even included a drive thru Taco Cabana.
Okay so here we are done with opening all of our gifts and headed out to the back of the house to surprise Ellery with the car. We have all cameras in place. She seems super excited at first and hops right into the car, only to push the pedal down and burst into tears. That was it for the escalade - she didn't want to have anything else to do with it. Nathan and I rode around in it on our own a couple of times and my mom mentioned she might could use it to run to Randalls, but other than that it is going to collect dust...hopefully only until she is a little bit older and decides that she isn't scared of how "fast" it goes. Lesson learned.
We just got home tonight from Christmas in Arlington with Nathan's side of the family. Ellery (and Price) seemed to have a wonderful time, getting spoiled some more. Here are some pictures from the past week:











Price was just taking it all in this year

















A new double stroller - a mommy of two must have!
















a new Snow White dress up set from Lulu and Poppy














This is before she pushed down the pedal












Loving on her new baby doll from Aunt Mere


And a doll house from Bebe and Pops...and yes, she wants to dress like Snow White everyday, all day

4 comments:

Tabaitha Kaye said...

Sounds like you guys had a lovely Christmas! I love Ellery's car and my favorite part is that it's PINK!

jonnyd said...

What's funny is how similar the Christmas experience was for Allison - she enjoyed Christmas much exactly how you described Ellery's experience, AND she got the same princess dress up clothes, the same doll house and jewelry box with the twirling ballerina on it... something tells me that they would be instant friends.

cindy gatewood said...

What more could a girl ask for?
A car, house, clothes and
babies!!

Lulu

the_wells said...

i love it! we have come to the conclusion over christmas that 2 year olds are bipolar.
seriously - one minute - it's all laughs, and the next, they are having a complete meltdown.
what gives?
i LOVE the pink car.
we'll have to come over for a ride.
i have NO idea if emma kate would like it either....at least its something she can grow into!

newer older home